With Thanksgiving just around the corner, November traditionally offers us all a time to give thanks for the many things that we have in our lives. Things in our lives that we may sometimes take for granted, like plenty of food on our tables. Unfortunately, for many people within the state of Washington, finding enough food to put on the table can sometimes be difficult.
For the month of November, we’re partnering a food drive with Northwest Harvest to collect non-perishable food items. We’re asking our patients to please bring food items to their appointments at North Seattle Dental or to drop by our office with any donations. With each item donated, you will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 grocery gift card. Any food donations that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
What types of food does Northwest Harvest need? Northwest can use any non-perishable food donations, such as as shelf-stable food items with the lowest saturated fats and refined carbohydrates (sugar, white flour).
As Northwest Harvest buys many items in bulk such as white rice, beans, oats, pasta and tomato products, they appreciate donations of other items.
Some Food Suggestions from Northwest Harvest:
– Beef stew, chili and similar meals with low salt, sugar and saturated fats.
– Canned fruit, especially low sugar (but not artificial sweeteners)
– Canned fish or meat
– Peanut butter (plastic jars are preferred)
– Canned vegetables (low sodium)
– Brown rice
– Whole grain pastas
– Shelf-stable milk
Infant and baby foods:
– Baby formula
– Jars and baby food
– Powdered or canned milk
– Infant cereal
* They also accept baby diapers.
Washington State Hunger Facts
- Washington is the 23rd hungriest state in the nation.
- 1 in 5 kids in Washington state lives in a household that struggles to put food on the table.
- 1 in 7 Washingtonians relies on food stamps, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- The majority of working age Washingtonians who live in poverty are actively working or looking for work.
- 1 in 5 Washingtonians relies on their local food bank
About Northwest Harvest
Founded in 1967, Northwest Harvest is the only non-profit food bank distributor operating statewide in Washington with a network of more than 300 food banks, meal programs and high-need schools. Through this network, they provide more than 2 million meals every month. The mission of Northwest is to provide nutritious food to hungry people throughout the state of Washington in a manner that respects their dignity, while fighting to eliminate hunger. Visit www.northwestharvest.org website to learn more.