- Look for it as part of your oral hygiene routine – Check for changes in the soft tissues of your mouth – Not sure what to check for? Ask us – we can show you!
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables as part of your daily diet.
- Avoid heavy alcohol use – more than 15 alcoholic beverages per week may put you at a greater risk.
- Visit your dentist for annual oral cancer screenings – such as the VELscope examination.
There are many things patients can do to help protect themselves from this disease. Be aware of oral cancer signs and symptoms and make sure to let your dentist know of any changes in your mouth or throat.
Learn more about oral cancer and the VELscope exam.