5 Reasons to Treat Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea
If you or someone you love consistently snore, feel tired all the time, have difficulty concentrating or staying awake during the day, you may suffer from undiagnosed sleep apnea. Here are five good reasons to determine if you suffer from undiagnosed sleep apnea.
- You Might Have Sleep Apnea and Not Know it – It’s estimated that 22 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea, with 80 percent of them being undiagnosed.
- Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea May Be Costing You Money – Studies have shown that people with undiagnosed sleep apnea visit doctors’ offices and hospitals more often than people with similar health conditions whose sleep apnea is being treated; i.e., you may be prescribed sleeping pills for insomnia but your insomnia is caused by your sleep apnea. And your sleep medications may make it worse.
- Your Risk for Accidents is Much Higher – More studies have shown that people with undiagnosed sleep apnea have a higher rate of accidents, either in their car or at work. Sleep apnea may cause chronic daytime sleepiness. In fact, drivers who have untreated sleep apnea are two to three times more likely to have a car accident.
- Your Relationships and Quality of Life May Suffer – Snoring is a symptom of sleep apnea, which may not only prevent you from a pleasant night’s sleep, but may also prevent your spouse or partner from sleeping as well. And because you wake up tired, you may be unable to properly engage in your work or have enough energy to enjoy activities with your family and friends.
- Your Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea May be Shortening Your Life – Sleep apnea may increase your risk of getting a serious medical condition or may increase the severity of existing conditions, such as diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
If you believe that your or someone you love may have undiagnosed sleep apnea, let us know. Our dentists can help provide some guidance. Depending upon the level of the sleep apnea, treatment may be as simple as wearing a custom-designed mouthpiece, or snore guard. Contact us if you have any questions or would like to schedule an evaluation.